Thursday, October 12, 2006

My 2007 Dream Project

After seeing the movie Who Killed The Electric Car, I got the nutty idea earlier this year to purchase an all-electric vehicle to commute to work. The motivation was to see if I could get by with as little oil products as possible. I was going to purchase an NmG from Myers Motors, but found the driver compartment a bit crowded and the driving range limited (only about 40 miles). Since I live in Portland, Oregon, I went to a meeting with the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association and found out about several companies that provided drop-in electric conversion kits for existing cars. After doing some research, I found Electro Automotive out of Felton, CA and put down the $13,000 for one of their latest AC motor conversion kits for the Porsche 914.

Electro Auto sent me a conversion manual for their earlier DC motor kit and I've been following the preparations in that booklet for when the kit shows up. I'm currently working with Craig Loughlin out at Camp914 to purchase a 1976 Porsche 914 for the conversion.

A lot has happened over the past few months and I hope to post all that info here for your perusal. I hope everyone had a great 2006 and I wish you all the best for 2007.

No comments: