Today had some ups and downs. I got the adapter hub from Electro Automotive back today. I installed it on the motor shaft and, to my delight, it had less than 1 mil of runout and wobble! That's how the hub is supposed to work. I put the flywheel and clutch back on and spun them up to 6000RPM without much vibration, so things are looking better.
Before I mated the motor to the transmission, I wanted to try out the SPEEDO output on the DMOC445 that Beth at Azure Dynamics talked about in the previous post. I was really happy to hear that there's an RPM signal I could tie into. So, I got out the oscilloscope and tied it to pin 25 (SPEEDO_BUF) on the DMOC445 and spun up the motor.
Wait a minute, there's no pulses coming out. The signal is at ground. Azure said it was a push-pull circuit. The documentation said it was an open emitter output (implying a transistor that pulls up to 12V). Perhaps I didn't properly set the EE1SpeedoDiv variable in the controller. Okay, fire up the laptop and tap into the DMOC --- There's no variable remotely close to the name EE1SpeedoDiv! Argh! It's too bad that it's late Friday since the folks at Azure have already gone home, but I'll fire off an e-mail anyway and see if Beth will respond on Monday.
In the meantime, I have a (hopefully) working adapter hub and I can put the car back together and drive it. Perhaps I'll run down to Radio Shack and get an infrared emitter/receiver pair of LEDs to see if I can generate my own RPM pulses. I get frustrated when my hopes are dashed based on expectations. I guess that's just human. Ugh.