Today was a bit slow. I received some AMP pins in the mail that fit the special connectors on the DMOC445 controller. To make the serial port more robust, I crimped the pins onto the ends of the 16-gauge wires and inserted them into the 8-position connector that came with the DMOC.
Here's the finished connector. It's far more reliable than the simple sockets I had soldered to the end of the cable. See this post for the prior implementation.
I also took a little time to install the hood pin that I got from Schucks yesterday. Drilling a rectangular hold through the engine compartment lid was very tricky. I covered up most of the rough edges with the plate that comes with the hood pin. At least it's a lot nicer than the block of wood I was using before.
Just for grins, I fitted one of the hair dryers to the passenger side heating duct and plugged into the wall outlet to see how well it would heat the car. It's rather loud, but produces a light stream of warm air. I wouldn't use this to fully heat the car, but it'll probably make a decent defroster.